Monday, July 30, 2007

१२ dozen eggs

I rose at 5:15am this morning to be greeted by 12 dozen eggs in need of cracking. It's pretty difficult to whisk that many eggs so when they were in the largest skillet ever i had to keep trying to pop the slippery little yokes that had yet to be squished. I'm easily entertained... :)

that kept me busy as the sun came up and other folks slowly woke from a night out at a bonfire. im sleeping in a trailer now with 15 other ppl and most everyone came in around 1:30ish- I enjoy all of the hustle and bustle but i think im going to invest in some ear plugs.

it's nice to be back. again i was greeted by my friends and we hung out with a new volunteer in the little trailer. we talked about a lot of the systemic issues here in nola which i'll elaborate on later. it's nice to sit back and and listen to folks who have been here for several months- it takes time to learn what has happened/not happened down here. apparently the lower ninth ward (LNW, where we are) was the last place people were allowed to come back to after the storm- they almost bulldozed the entire place but finally folks were allowed to come back and claim their land and wait for their Road Home money (a sizeable chunk from the gov't)...most people have yet to receive that $$.

last night I got into town around 9:30, I was going to make it in time for circle but there was a detour on I-10 that sent me way out of the way. I got lost on all of the one way streets when I finally got into the LNW and was pretty shaken up about it. I was overwhelmed by what i thought was an irrational fear of this blighted area. there was a car jacking a few weeks ago and so i was a little on edge. once i got on site it took a bit for me to calm down but i kept telling myself that it was a fear of the unknown rather an actual reason to be scared. im not writing this to freak anyone out but just to acknowledge my feelings now and wondering how they will change the longer I am here. i do know to not drive around at night by myself tho...

time to go prep lunch...

No comments: