Friday, August 17, 2007

Aspiration Statement

Sarah H. Buffie

Namibia

November 1, 2007


A. The professional attributes that you plan to use, and what aspirations you hope to fulfill during your Peace Corps service.

One of my greatest aspirations for my Peace Corps service is to become an engaged and connected community member. I thrive on relationship building and believe in the power of a group to build community first and accomplish a task second. Starting here, I hope to match my skills and passions with those of my community to tackle the existing issues surrounding HIV/AIDS. I am a student of Asset Based Community Development and hope to use this professional skill in conducting “needs assessments” at the community, organizational, and individual level. I plan to use my communication skills to listen and learn the needs of people affected by HIV/AIDS and administration and research skills to enhance/create educational and training materials on topics deemed necessary for the community in which I live and work. I also plan to use my professional networking skills to be a connector of people and organizations.

B. Your strategies for working effectively with host country partners to meet expressed needs.

It’s difficult for me to express a “strategy” per se because I know I have so much to learn from my host country and organization. I believe my biggest strength is an open mind and an adaptable work style. That being said, my goal in working effectively with host country partners to meet their needs is to always stay focused on these needs. If we can keep our eyes on the end goal without letting personal or cultural interest steer us away, I believe we will achieve a positive end result. Personal or cultural interests should only enhance a team’s goal rather than hinder. My “strategy” will be to find a good balance between listening openly and asserting my ideas.

C. Your strategies for adapting to a new culture with respect to your own cultural background.

From a young age I’ve been exposed to and raised in different cultural backgrounds. I have respect, admiration, and a yearning for understanding other cultures and believe strongly that the way others live does not have to conflict with how I live. In many cases I will adapt by adopting certain practices and customs because I am a life-long learner. I know and am prepared for new experiences, local cuisine, and cultural practices that will be unfamiliar and perhaps uncomfortable for me, but which can be found anywhere in life not just isolated to this experience. I plan to keep an open mind and ask questions, when appropriate, to help with my understanding and thus adapting to Namibian culture.

D. The skills and knowledge you hope to gain during pre-service training to best serve your future community and project.

I hope to gain not only language skills but also cultural cues that will help me communicate to the fullest. I also hope to learn more about HIV/AIDS specific to Africa and Namibia. I am very interested in learning about the structures of NGO’s in Namibia and then outlining how they differ from similar organizations in the U.S. I would love to learn more about the history of Namibia and the current political and social issues locally and countrywide. I want to become conscious of cultural norms when meeting people, building relationships, setting boundaries, and the roles of men and women in the workplace, in the community and in the family unit.

E. How you think Peace Corps service will influence your personal and professional aspirations after your service ends.

My personal and professional aspirations are closely connected: to be an active citizen of the world, create and build community wherever I am, do service and share experiences with people different from myself, and work hard at whatever task is in front of me. I can’t think of a better “career move” than joining the Peace Corps! I believe that this Volunteer service experience is going to build on the path of self-awareness and understanding I embarked on two years ago with AmeriCorps and will give me more professional skills that will be applicable anywhere upon my completion of my Peace Corps tour.

4 comments:

Cotton said...

Beautifully written...looks like you all ready to go!!! I see your balance,that's what will be key as you start your amazing journey. Remember take care yourself first...Always!! That's the most selfless thing you can do...That way you'll have so much more to give. Love you Buffie!
Peace,
Cotton

peccavi said...

Hi, I recently found your blog after some cursory googling and realized that you've been assigned to the same Namibia Peace Corps assignment that I have. Just wanted to say hey and see you soon.
Tot siens (afrikaans!),
Milan

here goes said...

hey milan!! i cant find a way to respond to your post so if you have an email or something let me know. thanks for saying hi!! looking forward to meeting you:) :)

Anonymous said...

I know that I am like a decade late but,I am so happy for you. You went into this adventure headstrong and with your heart set in the right place. Buffie if anyone can make positive change for Namibia, you can. I love you so much and am enjoying Africa through you. I love you for what you are doing, for your spirit and for your love for people. I feel so connected to you right now.